HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CORONAVIRUS SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME SUPPORT SCHEME (SEISS)
The Government has confirmed that they have begun contacting all self-employed workers via e-mail, text message or letter, based on the information they hold with you. You may have been contacted by HMRC already.
Please be aware that this contact from HMRC will NOT HAVE A LINK ATTACHED. Any correspondence received from HMRC which contains a link is fraudulent.
The portal will open on Wednesday 13th May 2020 and individuals will be required to submit their own claims. HMRC have advised that tax agents cannot make the claims on their client’s behalf.
While the portal is open from Wednesday 13th May, each individual will have their own date and time to apply. To check this date and your eligibility, please click here.
Below is our step by step guide to help you apply:
- Please use this link to check your eligibility and get your date and time to make a claim.
- If you’re eligible, the page will invite you to either login to your Government Gateway or create a Government Gateway account.
- Once you have created a Gateway account or logged in, keep a note of all your login details ready for your claim date and time from Step 1.
- This is all that is required for now until the claim date.
- When your claim time and date passes, login to your Government Gateway using the details from Step 3 and a simple application will become available which will ask you:
- To read and accept eligibility criteria. (We have provided the criteria in our original announcement, which can be found here).
- Complete the declaration confirming that your business has been adversely affected by Coronavirus.
- Enter your bank details for the claim to be paid.
HMRC have released a video on steps 1-3 which we have found to be helpful and informative:
Source from HMRC.gov.uk. Source can be found by clicking here.
Unfortunately HMRC are not allowing agents and advisers such as ourselves, to process claims for individuals, and doing so may result in a freeze on the claim to prevent fraud. We are therefore unable to process your claim, however we are just a telephone call away if you need help whilst you’re submitting the claim.
We have already contacted all our clients who we believe may be eligible to apply and would be happy to review your situation if you are not sure. We can answer any queries you have along the way.
If you are not already a client of ours, we will be happy to review your situation to establish whether or not you are eligible.
If you have any queries with this process, please feel free to contact our team.