Discretionary Council Grants
On 29th May 2020, the Government have published details of a discretionary grant, between £1 – £25,000, made available to certain businesses which meet the following criteria:
- is based in England
- has relatively high ongoing fixed property-related costs
- occupies property (or part of a property) with a rateable value or annual mortgage/rent payments below £51,000
- was trading on 11 March 2020
- demonstrate that your business has suffered a significant fall in income due to coronavirus.
This is a discretionary grant, which means local councils will decide on a case by case basis who is eligible, councils are being told to prioritise:
- small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces, such as units in industrial parks or incubators
- regular market traders
- bed and breakfasts paying council tax instead of business rates
- charity properties getting charitable business rates relief, which are not eligible for small business rates relief or rural rate relief
You cannot apply if you have already received the £10,000 or £25,000 council grants previously offered.
How to apply
If you think you meet the above criteria, we urge you to make an application direct to your local council BY 19TH JUNE 2020. Applications will be closed from this date.
To apply you need to visit your local councils website. Please click here to find your local council.